The independent voice of the students of Penn State Harrisburg

The Blue & White Journal

The Blue & White Journal

The Blue & White Journal

Badminton Doubles Tournament

Rexha Cai
Badminton Doubles Tournament

The Badminton Doubles Tournament is an annual event that encourages students to come together and engage in friendly competition. It is organized by the Global Ambassadors Program at Penn State Harrisburg. The tournament of 2024 was held on February 3rd in the Capital Union Building, with all students invited to play on teams. 

Before the tournament began, everyone gathered in the CUB and signed in. The names and teams that would be playing against each other were presented during this time. There was also time allotted for participants to warm up before the game began. 

“I used to play badminton in high school, but I haven’t played it in a while, so I thought this might be a time for me to get back into it,” An Nguyen said.

Badminton Doubles Tournament. (Rexha Cai)

While students found their teammates, racquets and drinks were provided during the tournament. 

“There were many students interested and signed up for the tournament, so we had to figure everything out: racquets, water and energy drinks to make the event more organized,” Ashish Yallapragada said.

In addition to the equipment and beverages provided, the top three winners of the final competition received trophies and prizes such as a bluetooth speaker.

“The best part of the tournament is that we have lots of good prizes. Each winner will also receive a trophy,” Yallapragada added.

Just like any other sports events offered to students, the badminton doubles tournament provided a great opportunity to unwind after a month of school. Students could participate with their friends as well as have the opportunity to relax from school work.

“I initially thought of badminton because many people like it, and they have different kinds of skills that I think they can showcase in a tournament. For those who are stressed out, this is also a great chance to interact with people and make friends because sports can always bring people together,” Ashish continued.

“I learned a lot in this game simply by watching others playing. Although I lost quickly, watching your friends play and cheer them on was fun,” Nguyen said.

The Badminton Doubles Tournament is just one of the activities offered to students at Penn State Harrisburg by the Global Ambassadors. Download the Corq app or check out the PSH Calendar of Events to keep up to date with future events.