The independent voice of the students of Penn State Harrisburg

The Blue & White Journal

The Blue & White Journal

The Blue & White Journal

Tennis Tops LBC, Continues Successful Season

Caleb Steindel.
Freshman Cooper Wheeler competes in a challenge match.

The outcome was never in doubt for both the men’s and women’s squads as they hosted Lancaster Bible College in their final March match. With shutout victories for both teams, the Lions continued what has been an overall successful year in 2024. For every Harrisburg program competing for a playoff berth, it’s the conference games that matter, as they determine postseason seeding. Both the men’s and women’s teams have had their ups and downs, but with two 9-0 victories over Lancaster bible on March 30th, both squads have quickly established themselves as forces to be reckoned with in the United East.

On the women’s side, the lethal combo of freshman Allison Wooton and junior Breanna DeSantis was at it again with an 8-0 doubles victory. DeSantis also pitched a shutout in singles along with sophomore Olivia Bandini. For the guys, senior Vik Patel and junior Andrew Schreck pitched a doubles shutout. Schreck also kept his opponent scoreless in singles, as did star freshman Cooper Wheeler.

While the performance was one to remember, the season hasn’t all been sunshine and roses. The ladies began with plenty of struggles out of the gate, limping to four straight losses to begin the 2023-24 season. However, they’ve since gone 6-2 and righted the ship, led mostly by Wootton (9-1 overall) and Bandini (4-0 overall). Freshman Anita Liu is 7-2 on the year, as well. The DeSantis/Wootton combo has not lost all year, sporting an impressive 9-0 record.

The men’s team has almost experienced an opposite trajectory to the women’s team, as they dropped four matches after winning five of their first six. But the 1-0 conference record is all that matters. In singles, it’s Wheeler who leads the pack with an 8-1 record, and sophomore ZiJun Ou also has a respectable 4-1 record. Ou is an impressive 4-1 in doubles as well along with his partner, junior Derwin Merca.

Freshman Riley Fallon encouraged the entire student body to come out and watch tennis matches this year.

“Tennis is so electrifying. You’ll get a big adrenaline rush, it’s incredibly entertaining and satisfying. Come out and see a match this year! You’ll enjoy it.”

Junior Carissa Fallon agreed, adding that always playing in nice weather is a big perk of watching tennis.

“We play tennis in good weather. We’re so close this year, and we’re so happy and excited for the rest of our matches. Come support us as we hope to return to the conference championship this year.”

Tennis returns to action at home against Penn College on April 5. To keep up with tennis all year round, visit the school’s athletic page at www.athletics.hbg.psu.edu.