The independent voice of the students of Penn State Harrisburg

The Blue & White Journal

The Blue & White Journal

The Blue & White Journal

Hacking at Harrisburg

The aim of the IEEE Hackathon at Penn State Harrisburg is to offer a space where students from a range of fields, including Computer Science, Electrical and Computing Engineering, Cyber Security, and others, can develop and utilize their skills. Participants will have opportunities to engage in activities like building circuits, Soldering, entrepreneurship through project creation and presentation, and tackling coding problems in various languages such as C++, Python, and more.

The event thoughtfully integrates software and hardware challenges, providing practical experience through Raspberry Pi Pico ultimate kits for wider hardware exploration. The IEEE Hackathon presents an opportunity to join a community focused on learning, development, and making meaningful connections in a more relaxed and supportive environment. 

Attending the IEEE Hackathon at Penn State Harrisburg can be beneficial for several reasons. It can build your skill enhancement, combining learning aspects, building connections, preparation for the future, community engagement, ongoing learning, and creative collaboration.

The IEEE Hackathon presents an opportunity to join a community focused on learning, development, and making meaningful connections in a more relaxed and supportive environment.

Jeremiah Ddumba, shares is story on his role on being the President of IEEE. 

“My executive board and I are focused on contributing positively to Penn State Harrisburg. IEEE stands out for its active engagement on campus, and we’re committed to organizing a variety of technical workshops, professional development sessions, and events. Our goal is to support students in developing a broad range of skills that are valuable both professionally and socially, helping them to prepare for internships and future employment opportunities. We also encourage networking with companies and meeting fellow students across different majors. The entire team of 20 IEEE officers is dedicated to creating meaningful and beneficial events for the students at Penn State Harrisburg,” Ddumba expresses. 

Hackathon provides a welcoming opportunity for students interested in enhancing their coding, entrepreneurship, circuit design, and soldering skills. It is an ideal environment for those studying in STEM fields or for students curious about electrical engineering, entrepreneurship, computer science, or related areas. This event aims to deepen students’ understanding of the disciplines, particularly focusing on the majors of computer science and electrical engineering.

A member of the IEEE, Aaron Beverlin explains why he joined the workshops and why it was important that other students decide show up. 

“A friend dragged me to one of the IEEE workshops this semester, and I found it fun, so I kept coming back to especially the ‘build your own weather station’ part. Their workshops afterward were just as enjoyable, and I kept coming back until I wanted to take on a leadership position and join the executive board,” Beverlin discusses. 

This platform was developed by IEEE, in collaboration with five student teams, specifically for the hackathon. The project began in August 2023 and has continued up to the present. It has utilized this platform to streamline the hackathon process. Moving forward, their goal is to enhance the platform further, allowing for the entire hackathon to be exclusively hosted on it.