Welcome to Penn State Harrisburg!

Dr. Robert G. Nulph

Welcome to Campus!

Welcome to Penn State Harrisburg! August 22, 2022 marked the first half of the 2022-23 school year and the first day of classes for the Fall semester.

Penn State Harrisburg is one of Penn State’s branch campuses. This campus offers over 70 different undergraduate and graduate degree options, including three doctoral degree programs. The Harrisburg campus was originally an Air Force Base up until June of 1969 before most of the land was converted into the campus. Penn State University Park is only a couple hours drive and students at Penn State Harrisburg still have access to the resources and amenities of University Park.

Penn State Harrisburg Chancellor Dr. John Mason has been on hand to welcome the students to campus. “We are very pleased to welcome to campus all of our students – new and returning – for fall 2022! You are a part of an institution that is known worldwide for excellence in teaching, research and service. I’m very proud of the work we do at Penn State Harrisburg – the excellent work of our faculty and staff – to provide you with the best educational experience possible.”

This semester is particularly notable in regards to the student body. Penn State Harrisburg has over 5,000 students enrolled for the 2022-23 school year, the most students this campus has seen in a number of years. The incoming freshman class alone is 1,300 students, the largest freshman class in campus history.

Penn State Harrisburg’s general student body is varied in many different areas. This campus hosts students from over 40 US states and over 30 countries around the world. The freshman class this semester has over 450 first-generation college students and 70 veterans. According to data from 2021, approximately 61% of undergraduate students identify as male and 39% as female. Also from 2021, 9.5% of the student body is African American, 12.9% is Asian American, 8.7% is Hispanic American, and 12.7% come from internationally.

Life on campus can get overwhelming, especially for new students. The Blue & White Journal encourages students to take advantage of all the resources available both on campus and at University Park. Counseling and Psychological Services and the Learning Center also open with resources and help for students who need it.

When asked what advice he would give to students, Chancellor Mason stated “ I urge you to attend class and be prepared. Talk to your professors. Go to their office hours. And if you need extra help, ask. Penn State Harrisburg has great support services for students.   

I also encourage you to get to know each other, whether you are a new student or one returning for another year. Introduce yourself to each other. Participate in activities beyond the classroom. Take full advantage of the breadth and depth of the opportunities available to you. This will help you to be healthier and happier, and to be successful.”