The independent voice of the students of Penn State Harrisburg

The Blue & White Journal

The Blue & White Journal

The Blue & White Journal

Intramural and Club Sports Director Daniel Barlet Joins Nittany Watch

Mitchell+Carson+and+Daniel+Barlet+on+the+Nittany+Watch+Sports+Report+
Mitchell Carson and Daniel Barlet on the Nittany Watch Sports Report

The man behind intramurals at Penn State Harrisburg is Daniel Barlet, who oversees each of the sports played and the accompanying teams. Barlet recently joined Nittany Watch for an interview where he described what intramurals are about and some of the different things that go into making it a successful program. The PSH community can watch his interview on the latest edition of Nittany Watch on YouTube.

Barlet’s goal with intramurals is to cover everything on the field and off.

“From the inception to completion of everything regarding intramural sports as well as club sports here on campus. Anything generated from our student base we put on for them,” Barlet stated.

The number of students on an intramural team vary depending on the sport and the amount of players involved. When a new intramural is about to be underway, it gets sent to 1,200 students. The main focus for Barlet is the students.

“Some of those are very active, some are more passive. That’s who we’re generating an audience from currently. Some of our teams range from one which would be Table Tennis versus a possible 20 team roster. For something like football those rosters are 15 plus for some of their teams,” he said.

“It’s a holistic experience for them. You know,  they get to express themselves, get to be competitive while also maintaining a level of camaraderie and making friends. You get out and just be part of the experience here and see our facilities while we govern the whole experience for them,” he added.

Penn State Harrisburg currently offers twelve intramural sports, but Barlet cannot pick a single sport that he favors over the other. The goal is to have a wide variety of students interested in the different sports.

“I think it’s a great way to meet people first and foremost. It allows students to get outside the residence halls and outside classrooms to be able to express themselves. That, again, holistic experience, that’s really what we’re after here,” Barlet stated.

Students interested in participating an intramural sport can visit the website https://www.imleagues.com/PennStateHarrisburg/Intramurals. Students can also reach Daniel Barlet via email at [email protected].