The independent voice of the students of Penn State Harrisburg

The Blue & White Journal

The Blue & White Journal

The Blue & White Journal

Spring into Music

Participating+Students+play+their+instruments+
Jenny Guo
Participating Students play their instruments

Penn State Harrisburg took on the stage as the School of Humanities presented the annual spring music concert. The concert included the campus choir, campus band and the jazz ensemble. This year’s concert theme was “The Sounds of Stage and Screen”. All the sections performed songs from the Broadway stage to the Silver Screen. 

The concert included musical numbers from Pirates of the Caribbean, The Incredibles, How to Train Your Dragon, Sister Act, Coco, Guardians of the Galaxy, Mamma Mia and many more. 

Adam Gustafson PhD serves as Music Program Director and Campus Choir Director on campus and is always making sure the students are the main focus. 

“We generally ask the students about a theme that they would like to try, and then we discuss among the various ensemble directors. That discussion usually entails figuring out if we can find enough repertoire for the various ensembles to match the theme,” Gustafson stated. 

While various students participate every year, Gustafson is focused on the benefits students get from participating in the program. 

“There are so many benefits! It provides a creative space for students of all majors who might have been performers in high school or elsewhere and who want to continue making music. The ensembles also become a great social space where friendships are made and communities are born,” Gustafson explained. 

It’s amazing to see how close these groups become by the end of a semester. From a utilitarian perspective, it also enables students to earn GA credits,” he added.  

Dr. Adam Gustafson introduces the Campus Choir (Jenny Guo)
Dr. Adam Gustafson conducts the campus choir (Jenny Guo)
Campus Band plays music from The Incredibles (Jenny Guo)

This past year the music department had a  total of 60 students participate in the concert with approximately 150 students making music through the program. Gustafson stated that having music in schools is important for students. Students interested in being part of the music program on campus can sign up for Music 82 (Concert Band), Music 84 (Jazz Ensemble) and Music 88 (Concert Band). A jam club has begun on campus as well.