The independent voice of the students of Penn State Harrisburg

The Blue & White Journal

The Blue & White Journal

The Blue & White Journal

Saying Goodbye to Student Media

Mitch, Matthew, and Caleb with Adviser Dr. Robert Nulph
Gurleen Grewal

Mitch – This truly has been a wonderful experience. I have been in this class since day one. I did not really know what was going to happen. Before this I was part of my high school’s radio station along with their morning announcements my senior year. While I was attending HACC (Central Pennsylvania’s Community College) I was doing my own news program on Youtube along with volunteering at my local newspaper. After the first couple classes I learned that we would be starting a newspaper and a news magazine show. I was so elated to hear that because there were more things that I could add to my list. I immediately asked to be a host for the show. I will miss the people that I have worked with who are not just colleagues but people who have become my friends along the way. I loved reporting the things I covered, especially THON and Intramurals. I was able to go up to THON the last two years and being there really is a magical experience, all while for a great cause. With covering intramurals I got to meet new people and learned what sports they liked to play along with showing the campus another side of college sports. I have made a lot of friends at both and it really was a blessing to cover those. I learned so much from all the stories I covered from both those things along with other stories I did in between the two. Dr. Nulph is more than just a professor and advisor; he is your friend and is like a father figure to everyone in the course. He pushes you to drive to the best that you can and encourages you to unlock your potential. I have had one of the best times of my life being part of the media on campus and I am saying thank you to everyone who has been with the class with me all these years, every co host who has co hosted Nittany Watch with me and for the people I have covered for allowing me to be part of their lives. This will definitely help me with my road to the “Today Show”. Thank you so much.

Mitchell Carson and Matthew Wynkoop host Nittany Watch

Matthew – I have had an absolute blast over my five semesters in student media. When I first came into the class, I was not sure what to expect. I had never shot any events, wrote an article, put a newspaper together, or even really used a camera. But I have learned so much. Over my years in this class, I have created video news packages, co-hosted Nittany Watch, and served as editor-in-chief, accomplishing more than I ever expected. Serving as editor-in-chief has truly been an honor. I am thankful for Dr. Nulph and the trust he placed in me to lead student media and for handing me the keys. Dr. Nulph has been one of the best professors I could ask for, and I am grateful for the relationship we developed. He welcomed me into the class and would never complain when I would randomly walk into his office and bug him. We had a revolving door of members, but Mitch and Caleb have been mainstays. We accomplished a lot together and I am proud of the work we did. But most importantly, I am grateful for the friendship the three of us developed and that they stuck by my side and supported me the entire time. And to the PSH community, thank you for allowing us to film events, and for your willingness to speak with us for interviews. You are why we were able to succeed. While I am bummed to be leaving, I can comfortably say goodbye with little regret and gratitude for what student media has given me. Thank you! 

Caleb – I’ve always dreamed of being a sports reporter. To be out on the field, the courts, the diamonds, washing and reporting on exciting games and matches, recording, writing, and filming. I was gifted the marvelous, dream-come-true opportunity here at Penn State Harrisburg with Robert Nulph at Student Media. It has been an utter joy to serve as the campus sports editor and director for the past three semesters, and I have learned and experienced so much that I will take with me into the future. I’ve met so many incredible people connected to athletics from coaches to athletes to administrators, and a huge thanks goes out to them all for putting up with my incessant interview requests. Athletics has enjoyed a ton of success lately, so I’m grateful to our programs for making my job so much fun. Conference championships, national honors, and record-breaking efforts are so much fun. I’ve developed so many interpersonal, communication, and technical skills during my time here, improved my interview, editing, and hosting techniques, and I’m proud to say that I’ve helped bring new things to the program as well. During my time with Student Media, we started a sports show, I’ve interviewed countless coaches, administrators, and athletes, and I was blessed to receive an award in a national competition for one of my baseball packages. The biggest of thank yous must go to Robert Nulph for his wonderful leadership of Student Media and the many ways he has helped me grow tremendously. Another massive thank you is due to Tom Klemmick, Sports Information Director, for fulfilling all my athletic requests and connecting me with so many coaches and athletes on campus. Thanks also to Matt and Mitch for being the Day Ones, the OGs, and leading Student Media so well. I’ll be graduating in the fall, so I’ve got one more semester on campus, but this will be my official goodbye. Goodbye to Student Media, Penn State Harrisburg, and Athletics. Thanks for the memories. I’ll treasure them forever. 

Caleb Steindel reports on sports (Dr. Robert Nulph )