Kulkarni Theatre 101

Dora Kong

The Kulkarni Theatre and the Box Office

The Control Room of the Kulkarni Theatre (Dora Kong)
The audience had fun at the Mike Super Magic show (PSH Flicker)
Mike Super Magic Show (PSH Flicker)
Midsummer Night’s Dream (Kulkarni Theatre)
The Campbell Brothers (Kulkarni Theatre)
It’s a Wonderful Life (Kulkarni Theatre)
Pasión y Arte Flamenco Dance Company (Kulkarni Theatre)

Are you interested in theatrical experiences? The Kulkarni Theatre in the SEC showcases performances and shows throughout the semester. The theatre encourages everyone to participate in its offered event, either free or friendly charged.

The overall goal of the theatre is to expose students to artists from a professional, national, and international level while connecting the community. The theatre also introduces the idea of having a diverse component, showing cultures from different nations and different genres of theatre art. Students are welcomed to engage in theatre events or even become part of the theatre community.

“I was a student here,” said Emily Dempsey, Box Office Manager, “and being part of the theatre made my experience on campus phenomenal.”

Earlier in the semester, the theater hosted magician Mike Super’s show “Magic & Illusion” on August 25th. It was followed by a performing arts fair organized by the theater and the School of Humanities on September 6th for students to know more about theater student positions, theater staff members, and upcoming events.

The School of Humanities have initiated the production process on the new fall play “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.” The show is adapted from Shakespeare’s classic comedy of two couples running away and getting tangled in fairy marital drama. The play will be entirely staged by students and school faculty and will perform in Kulkarni Theater November 2-5 with 5 performances in the evenings and on midday Saturday.

“We have terrific student talent here, whether it is onstage or backstage,” noted Arts Manager of the Kulkarni Theater Teri Guerrisi. 

Aside from “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” the Kulkarni Cultural Series brings in a wide variety of cultural performances. 

The first show in the series, the Pasión y Arte Flamenco Dance, will showcase the passion and the beauty of flamenco dance through its deep connection with the Spanish and the Hispanic culture. Pasión y Arte will perform October 13th at 7pm.  

“It’s a Wonderful Life: Live from WVL Radio Theatre”, which is adapted from Frank Capra’s classic holiday movie featuring James Stewart and Donna Reed, is going to be presented through the unique form of radio theatre with the four actors performing the sound effects live. That event will be on November 30th at 7:30pm.

The Kulkarni Theatre also frequently opens its doors for lectures with guest speakers. One of these is Are You Okay? with Kati Morton. Kati Morton is a licensed marriage and family therapist (LMFT) and her YouTube channel, with over 1 million subscribers and 100 million views, focuses on sharing mental health information worldwide. The event on October 20th at 7pm is a general discussion about mental health with moderated Q&A session at the end. 

In the spring, the series will end with a performance of African American gospel by the Campbell Brothers for a Sacred Steel music session on February 16th, 2023, at 7:30 PM. Lastly, the School of Humanities will present Spring Concerts-Lord of the Dance on March 22nd and the spring play “Cabaret” from April 19th to April 22nd.

“Every year there is something new, there is something fresh and working for the theatre keeps you awake,” said Dempsey

If you’re interested in any of these events or would like more information, please visit the website https://harrisburg.psu.edu/kulkarni-theatre or call 717-948-4398. Students can also stop by the box office in the Student Enrichment Center or visit harrisburg.psu.edu/boxoffice for more information and to purchase tickets.