Josh Africa Continues to Make Way on the Greens

Josh Africa. By: PSH Sports

Being named Student Athletic Leadership Council national chair for the NCAA to represent the United East and Penn State Harrisburg holds a lot of weight, but Josh Africa is used to carrying heavy weight. On April 17, Africa captured Penn State Abington’s individual championship. 

The Chesapeake, Va. native has made numerous accomplishments throughout his career at Penn State Harrisburg. Starting with capturing the third-best single-round score in program history in his first year with the golf team in the 2018-19 campaign. 

Even though his second-year campaign was cut short due to a global pandemic, according to Penn State Harrisburg’s athletic page, Africa came back strong in his third year with the team by recording his best finish during the Susquehanna Spring Invitational by finishing fifth. 

His fourth season with the golf team came along with many more accomplishments. He capped his fourth season off by being named United East All-Conference Second team and was named United East golfer of the week on September 9, 2021. He added a pair of runner-up finishes in the United East Championship Preview on October 4, 2021, and at the Penn State Division III Challenge on April 3, 2022. 

Going into his fifth season, Africa continues to shine on the golf course. The decorated golfer was able to record 116 and earned sixth place out of 35 golfers. He was able to finish first out of 37 golfers at the Penn State Abington Spring Invitational. 

As his team heads into conference championships starting on April 29, Africa continues to strive for more hardware to add to his portfolio. 

“I want to bring a United East Championship home to Penn State Harrisburg and get a berth into the NCAA Championship,” Africa said, “We’ve put ourselves in position to win numerous times and it’s time to execute.”

Although winning is the ultimate goal in any sport, teammates like Africa still want their teams to have fun and enjoy what they have been able to accomplish. 

“I want the team to have fun and take in the experiences,” he continued, “Whatever outcome happens, I’m proud of this team.” 

Africa mentioned that his mentality all season has been the same for years, “Be legendary”. 

Individually, Africa has made a name for himself across campus as a student-athlete and even made a name for himself in NCAA Division III. He has become a leader on the course, in the classroom, and across campus. 

The men’s golf championship starts on April 29 and will be played in Williamsport, PA. For more information about the United East Championships visit gounitedeast.com.