The independent voice of the students of Penn State Harrisburg

The Blue & White Journal

The Blue & White Journal

The Blue & White Journal

A Cop of Coffee

Mitchell Carson
Officers Dustin Kennelly and Phillip Pang share coffee and doughnuts

Free coffee and doughnuts were offered to the Penn State Harrisburg community as they entered the Olmsted Building to celebrate National Coffee With A Cop Day on October 4.

The event provided an opportunity for students and faculty to enjoy a morning boost of free coffee and doughnuts while also learning about the police department on campus. 

Two police officers, Officer Phillip Pang and Officer Dustin Kennelly, were at the event. Both Pang and Kennelly are officers at Penn State Harrisburg. Throughout the event the two officers greeted the campus with refreshments, giving each person a jump start to their day. aIt also provided the campus an opportunity to understand about the police department on campus.

Officer Pang viewed the event as a community connection. 

“It’s an opportunity for us as law enforcement to connect with the community, providing the morning essentials with caffeine and sugar,” Pang said.

“This opportunity brings us closer to the community. It shows the community that we are not robots, that we are humans.” he continued. 

Officer Kennelly viewed the event as a beneficial opportunity. “The departments are participating across the nation. It’s a chance to talk with the students and the faculty members that come here,” Kennelly explained. 

“It’s a good way to interact with the public. What benefits the students because then they realize we have a police department.” he added.

Students and Faculty get coffee and doughnuts (Mitchell Carson)

The Penn State Harrisburg police officers are always on campus to ensure the safety of all students and staff. Keep an eye out for them at different events as they strive to create a safe atmosphere for all.