The independent voice of the students of Penn State Harrisburg

The Blue & White Journal

The Blue & White Journal

The Blue & White Journal

Men’s Soccer Season Comes to a Close

The Penn State Harrisburg’s men’s soccer team kicked off their season this year in September.  They played a total of over 20 games, and highs and lows of this season have kept the soccer team with an unpredictable scoreboard. 

Luke Myers, a senior midfield, gives an insight on how they handle their scoreboard and results after each game. “Throughout the game, there are ups and downs, so we need to be able to work through those as a squad. The culture of the team needs to be strong and be less shaken by other teams or results.” 

The first game of the season was a test of hard work with a loss against Alvernia 0-2. They held out for a tie against Caim 1-1, with a goal scored by junior Jaden Longdon. They had a great comeback in their third game against Wilkes with a 4-1 win. The next two games they were defeated against Lebanon Valley 0-1 and Franklin & Marshall 2-4. 

They kept their heads held high and pushed forward as they won against New York University 1-0 and held on for another tie against Merchant Marine 2-2 with two goals scored in the back of the net by sophomore Alexander Benbatoul and junior Ethan Cortes. The team stayed focused on a winning score and made sure to put the work in for their next two games. 

The comeback of the season started with two wins back to back, one against Gallaudet 13-0 and another against Shenandoah 2-0. Neither team gained the upper hand in the next game, and the team played Penn College to a 2-2 tie. Sophomore Dillon Gough and senior Marc Rodgers each took a shot and finished with a goal. 

October started with a loss against Messiah 2-1 and a tie against St. Mary’s 2-2 with two goals scored by senior Kobe Harris and Longdon. October was not over for the players. It quickly turned around with a win versus Washington and Jefferson 6-1, and yet again another tie against Bridgewater 0-0. Lancaster Bible College came close, but Penn State Harrisburg scored the winning goal and won 2-1. Penn State must have the same soccer playbook as they tied against Penn State Abington 0-0. The regular season concluded with a 3-0 win over Penn State Berks

The playoffs started out strong as the Lions defeated Lancaster Bible College at home 3-2 in the United East Volt Division Semifinal. However, they fell against St. Mary’s of Maryland in the Division Final by a 2-0 score.

“I think we have done well throughout the season and improved as a team and a culture.” Added Myers. “Our goal is obviously to win and work towards that.” 

The Men’s soccer team has scored 44 goals overall this season. 11 home games and 9 away games have produced 7 ties, 8 wins, and 5 losses. It was an up and down season, but the men have much to be proud of in 2023.

For men’s soccer statistics, scores, and schedules visit www.athletics.hbg.psu.edu and follow @pshbgmsoc on Instagram. To keep up with the latest men’s soccer news, visit www.pshblueandwhitejournal.com.