The independent voice of the students of Penn State Harrisburg

The Blue & White Journal

The Blue & White Journal

The Blue & White Journal

The Many Colors of Music

The Many Colors of Music 

Student performers sang loud and proud to the members of the audience during Penn State Harrisburg’s fall concert. It was held on November 15th and 16th from 7-9 pm in the Kulkarni Theatre. There was no need to worry about purchasing tickets because admission was free, even open to the public. With several different features and varieties of music, Penn State Harrisburg is filled with talented students expressing their love of music and colors. 

The theme of the concert this year was exploring the relationship and connection between music and color. Throughout the night, multiple performers were on stage including the Penn State Harrisburg Campus Choir, Jazz Ensemble, and Concert Band. Some of the instruments played were the piano, trumpet, electric guitar, drum, saxophone, and violin, among others. 

Benjamin Jessep is one of the members of Concert Band, Jazz Ensemble, and Concert Choir. 

“I really like that the Director and Miss Graybill allow us to experiment a lot. It’s a very easy going atmosphere and we can incorporate our own ideas and creations,” Jessep stated. 

Ken Dubroff is part of the Jazz Band. He is also the founder of a new club on campus. 

“We are starting a club, the jam club, and the first meeting is taking place on December 1st at 6 at EAB 204. If you have any musical experience or if you play brass, guitar, bass, or even something else, please come,” Dobroff said. 

There were a variety of songs performed such as Grazing in the Grass by Philemon Hou, The Snow Begins to Fall by Andy Beck, Over the Rainbow by Harbaugh and Allen, and Rhapsody in Blue by George Gershwin. 

Anyone who is interested in joining Concert Band, Jazz Band, or Concert Choir can take them as a class, which covers the requirements for Gen Ed Arts, or classes pertaining to a minor in music. If students are unable to take it as a class but are still interested, they can join it as a club. New members are always welcome who have a passion, or just an interest, in music. 

The Students at Penn State Harrisburg worked very hard and dedicated so much time and practice this semester to share their gifts and talents for music. Don’t worry if you missed this semester’s concert. The band will be performing again for the 2024 Spring Concert and you won’t want to miss it. Stay tuned for updates on dates and times.