The independent voice of the students of Penn State Harrisburg

The Blue & White Journal

The Blue & White Journal

The Blue & White Journal

You’re a Grand Old Flag, You’re a High, Flying PSU Flag

The Events and Planning Committee’s mission at Penn State Harrisburg is to plan  free giveaways to students as well as other events as a  way to show their appreciation and support for the student body. This is the organization’s way of being thoughtful of students and recognizing their efforts. 

The Student Engagement Office handed out free PSU flags on Tuesday, January 23, from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm. The distribution of flags was held in the SEC lobby and done on a first come, first serve basis. The event was funded by the Student Initiated Fee. 

Rebecca Ann Klug, Events and Planning Coordinator for the Office of Student Engagement, shared why the committee wanted to hand out these flags to students. 

“This was one of many Spring Welcome events  on campus. We wanted to give away a “decor” type item to allow students to bring some of their Penn State pride into their homes. We hope seeing a Penn State flag in their living room or bedroom would help spark a feeling of belonging,” Klug stated. 

Klug also described the goal of what Student Engagement is. 

“There are welcome events at the beginning of every Fall and Spring Semester. Student Engagement strives to do more events that involve students interacting with others rather than only giving away a free item. The giveaways tend to happen two to three times a semester,” she said. 

Three styles of flags were handed out during the event. One was a blue flag with “Penn State” printed on it. The other two styles were a blue flag with the Penn State Athletics logo and a white flag with a Penn State football helmet. 

A current sophomore at Penn State Harrisburg, Josh Still, was one of the students in line to receive a flag. He explained why he wanted to receive a free flag. 

“I heard that they were giving out flags and figured I would grab one, especially since it’s free. I also wanted to be able to hang my school flag to promote others to go to Penn State and emphasize the importance of a college education,” Still emphasized. 

Be on the lookout for more events planned by Student Engagement throughout the semester. Students can also stay up to date on all of their events and free giveaways by looking on the Corq app, reading the weekly Student Engagement Newsletter, and following their Instagram account @pennstatehbg_sa.