The independent voice of the students of Penn State Harrisburg

The Blue & White Journal

The Blue & White Journal

The Blue & White Journal

How to Climb the Ladder to Success

If there is anyone who quotes about the understanding of what the journey of success looks like, it would be Arnold Swarchzennager. 

“You can’t climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pocket,” quoted Swarchzennager. 

Penn State Harrisburg cares about every student and offers hands-on learning in any aspect of education. The Lambert Undergraduate Advising Center held an event on February 15, from 11:30-12:30 in Olmsted W107. It was called Climb: Tools for Success. This event aims to inform students of the wide variety of tools and resources available on campus and highlight clubs and courses that take these tools in an academic setting. 

David Igwe, a student at PSH, shares his reasoning on why they chose to offer this to all the students on campus. 

I wanted to bridge the gap between students who are “in the know” and those who are still searching. We had over 20 students last time, and we’re hoping for 30+ students at the next event,” explains Igwe. 

It is for all college students at PSH and is also a First-year Seminar. The Advising Center’s Lion guides runs the organization. It is an opportunity to tour and explore the variety of technology and available tools. It ranges from video recorders, cameras, and even tools like the smart pen. 

They are holding this event for students so they are aware and informed on all the tools that are accessible to them and take advantage of the perks they have to make the most out of their college education. Ranges from the Astronomy club, IEEE, different access to tools, software accounts, and school courses that incorporate groundbreaking technology. 

One student, named Jeremiah Ddumba, is the President of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. It is one of the organizations that they presented at the event. 

“We do a wide range of events to solve problems on campus. We offer professional photography headshots and a makeup artist for free. They are for LinkedIn, indeed, or your portfolio. We also offer the hackathon, a technical vent for all students who want to learn about coding and building electronics. We also always have game nights for students to relax, have fun, and meet new students,” shares Ddumba. 

“My favorite part of being President of IEEE is giving students the kind of clubs and activities at University Park. You can build technical skills with our 15 workshops this semester. These consist of professional development series, socializing through karaoke night, game night, and competing with other clubs in sports,” Ddumba added. 

If you missed this tour, be ready to climb into March with another chance to see all the available tools. Students will want to be present to encounter a transformative experience that will alter their view of resources on campus. The next opportunity on campus will be at the same time from 11:30-12:30 in Olmstead E134 on March 12, 2024.