Study Problems?

Brianna Parnell-White, Staff Reporter

Karen Herrera, a senior at Penn State University, remembers a time when her study habits would prohibit her from doing her best in school. Although they have gotten better, Herrera can’t help but wonder what her grades would have been like had she implemented her current study habits then.

“I think this was freshman year at Penn State Harrisburg and I was taking a bio class, I forget the number. It wasn’t hard at all now that I think back on it, but I just never really studied for a lot of the assignments or tests. I was so worried about making friends and hanging out.”

Not only does Herrera regret not taking school seriously then, but she has made it a mission, for her grades and her future career, to study and urge herself not to procrastinate.

“During the summer going into sophomore year, I realized that I wasn’t where my potential lied. I saw my grades for freshman year, and although they were okay, they weren’t where I knew they could be. I made a promise to myself that I was going to do better, so I asked friends for advice and majority of them told me that studying helped them a lot, so that’s what I did.”

According to an article on study habits from Azusa Pacific University, college curriculums can be more particular than those of high school, so studying is crucial to having a good year. They list a few study habits which include: Finding a regular place to study, keeping track of important dates, not cramming, organizing study groups, reviewing notes, and asking for help.

When shown this list of studying tips, Herrera agreed. “I definitely agree with these. One thing I learned for me was that I work better outside of my home. I often go to the library or the HUB to study because it’s usually just me. I just get so easily distracted at home with my roommates, boyfriend, or my dog.”

According to the University of Saskatchewan, studying is important because your skills will not only help you on campus, but also off campus when you graduate. Good study habits can increase confidence while reducing anxiety.

Hererra decided to leave a drop of advice for any students struggling with studying.

“Take a specific time out of your day to study. If you’ve never learned how to study, do it in 20 to 30 minute increments each day until you get the hang of it, then boost it up to an hour or more at a time. I promise it helps. Also, turn your phone on do not disturb. I know everybody loves their phone, but it’s your best bet.”

Now looking back on her college experience, Herrera gives herself a pat on the back because she saw something that she was doing wrong, promised herself she would fix it, and did.