Accounting Club Transitions

Cayla Garman

Accounting Club Banner at PSH

Accounting Club at Penn State Harrisburg is in the process of transitioning to Phi Beta Lambda, a Future Business Leaders of America Organization. 

The Accounting Club at Penn State Harrisburg, a student organization led by President Jason Drago, Vice President Jeremy Rossin, Secretary Sophia Seltzer, and Treasurer Anh Tran, has previously served students looking for opportunities within the accounting field.

These opportunities take the form of guest speakers from firms who offer experiential advice, as well as internships and full-time positions, to club members.

Last semester, Bob Gayhardt, from Roger CPA Review, spoke to club members about preparation for “Meet the Firms,” a hiring event, and Boyer & Ritter visited to discuss their firm and offer internships and full-time positions.

The transition to Future Business Leaders of America-Phi Beta Lambda expands the club’s business focus, but as Secretary Sophia Seltzer explains, “even though the Accounting Club is transitioning to a wider business focus, we are still keeping accounting at the center.”

Phi Beta Lambda is the largest business Career and Technical Student Organization in the world. Future Business Leaders of America originated from Tennessee in 1937, and the first collegiate chapter of Phi Beta Lambda began in Iowa in 1952.

Since then, the organization has grown to an annual membership of over 230,000 and “…inspires and prepares students to become community-minded business leaders in a global society through relevant career preparation and leadership experiences.”

Penn State Harrisburg’s Accounting Club has been moving through the process of becoming a chapter for some time now, but they plan to complete the transition by and attend the 2022 PA-PBL State Leadership Conference April 1-2.

“I am so excited to attend the PBL State Leadership Conference this year to hear and learn from the speakers,” said Sophia Seltzer. “The Accounting Club has been working on this transition for a few months now, so I cannot wait to see what this new chapter of our club has in store.”

Meetings this semester are every other Wednesday at 12:30 in Olmsted E173. In addition to the Phi Beta Lambda transition, the club is seeking to have a wider variety of business professionals come speak while maintaining an emphasis on accounting speakers. Interested students can reach out to President Jason Drago at [email protected].

https://www.fbla-pbl.org/