The independent voice of the students of Penn State Harrisburg

The Blue & White Journal

The Blue & White Journal

The Blue & White Journal

Karaoke for the Kids

Penn State Harrisburg Benefitting THON hosted Karaoke for a Cure, an event that allowed students to showcase their singing voices and entertain the audience. It was run by PSH Benefitting THON’s President Mackenzie Marker, with the support of other THON members.  It was a student-based fundraiser. Volunteers would pick a song, walk on stage, and sing away. There was a cash only price of $3 for a solo song, $1 for an additional song, $4 for a duet, and $5 for a trio.

“It is a great way to get your friends together to have some fun and support a great cause. You can choose any song you want and just sing your heart out,” Marker stated.

“We have many students participating, and we hope to have many more sing while supporting the cause.” she added.

One singer, Tartilijaigirdar, performed I Can See You by Taylor Swift. She explained why she chose to sing at the karaoke event.

“I chose to sing because I was passionate about singing and playing the guitar and wanted to get used to performing in front of people. I also knew it was supporting a great cause and I wanted to help,” she said.

Another performer was Abubakar Saka. He performed a song called Just Wanna Rock by rapper Lil Uzi Vert. He commented on why he wanted to be a part of the event.

“I just wanted to entertain my friends and the crowd with my singing and also wanted to help support the cause,” Saka said.

The proceeds from this event support the Four Diamonds Fund. Their mission is to raise money for families and research to find a cure for pediatric cancer. The goal of raising this money is to make sure no family must pay or worry about the financial burden of medical bills.

Over 16,500 college students every year dance for the kids and the fight to end childhood cancer. Last year, THON raised over 15 million dollars. This year, as is the case every year, the goal is to beat the previous record. It will be held at the Bryce Jordan Center from February 16-18th in 2024.

If vocal rest stopped you from singing this time, don’t worry! They will have another one on November 7th and the 16th, so come prepared to sing your heart out.

You can find many other events and fundraisers this year to help add to the goal by checking the Corq app and also following the Instagram page @pshftk.