The independent voice of the students of Penn State Harrisburg

The Blue & White Journal

The Blue & White Journal

The Blue & White Journal

Poems Travel Around the World

Poetry, also known as verse, is considered a form of language that uses aesthetic and other rhythmic qualities of language and offers a way for people to express emotions in writing. 

Penn State Harrisburg has roughly over 700 international students that range from 56 different countries. The campus wanted to welcome the diverse cultures and backgrounds expressively. World Poetry Recital was held in Olmstead on March 14th for anyone who had a poem that they wanted to recite. Poems can range from the US, UK, Canada, and other English-speaking countries.  The Global Ambassadors, The Poetry Club, and The International Students Office ran this.   

Penn State Harrisburg’s International Students Office did just that by hosting the World Poetry Recital in the Olmsted Building on March 14. PSH has roughly over 700 international students from 56 different countries. The campus wanted to highlight the different cultures and backgrounds of these students with this event. Poems ranged from the US, UK, Canada, and other English-speaking countries. The Global Ambassadors and Poetry Club joined forces with the International Students Office to run this event. 

Ruhi Banerjee is one of the members that helped run the poetry event. She shared why they started this club and how it has been so successful since 2017. 

“Our goal is to improve the student’s intercultural competence and culture and ethnicity. This event highlights the diversity of students on campus,” Banerjee explained.

Students from the US and countries all over the world recited poems about various topics. The poems could be pieces of writing they wrote themselves, classical poems, or poems in their native language. Everyone was able to read and understand the poems as English translations were given. 

One student, Anjolaoluwa Olukoya, recited her poem and explained the title behind her poem and why she wanted to share her poetry. 

“My poem was about my friends. We were all friends at another college I attended before coming to Penn State Harrisburg. We don’t get to see each other anymore, and this poem is about how much I miss them,” Olukoya expressed. 

Every student who attended was encouraged to bring at least one poem to share with the audience. There was also a free range of topics they could write about. 

Yakshil Patel is another member who shared his poem and the meaning behind his creative writing.

“One thing that I would like to say is it does not matter if you write or do not write poems. The thing that matters is that you should speak out. If you don’t have anybody, remember that you have yourself. You have a pen and paper, and that’s all you need,” Patel shared.

Penn State Harrisburg’s goal is to ensure that every student feels included and offers an environment to express their background. Students will always be encouraged to write and openly express their cultural backgrounds to others. We all have a story to tell and start our chapter from somewhere.