New Disability Resource Coordinator Joins Penn State Harrisburg

Lauren+Weber

File Photo

Lauren Weber

Penn State Harrisburg has gained a new Student Disability Resources Coordinator, expanding the current capabilities of the department.

Lauren Weber has a long history of working with people with disabilities. She started her career as a mental health therapist, specializing in supporting children through young adults. In 2018, she moved to work in disability services at York College of Pennsylvania. She also taught a course at HACC for high school students with disabilities with the goal of preparing them for the transition into college life and requesting accommodations in higher education.

“I am excited to be a part of the Penn State Harrisburg community and I look forward to working with students to address any disability-related needs,” Weber said. “I am also happy to be working with Alan Babcock, the Assistant Director of SDR, as we both have goals to help improve awareness, equity, and inclusion of students with disabilities.”

This hiring could not come at a better time as Penn State Harrisburg’s other Disability Coordinator, Alan Babcock, will be on medical leave starting February 10th. As of this writing, there is no estimate of when Babcock will return to campus.

Erick Vetovich, the Student Government President, was involved in the interview process for the new Disability Coordinator and is very pleased with the decision. Vetovich explained, “Lauren Weber, the new Disability Resources Coordinator, has demonstrated through her search committee interviews and her time in the position that she is student-centered and an advocate for those who need to utilize disability resources.” He continued, “I have full confidence that she will be successful in this role moving forward and an irreplaceable asset for our students and campus community.”

Weber is quickly settling into her role and is looking forward to becoming more familiar with the student body. “For students currently registered with SDR, I want to encourage you to reach out to me with any questions or concerns about your accommodations. For students who have a disability, but have not yet started the process of setting up accommodations, I am here to provide support and can answer any questions you have about the process.”

If you feel that you would benefit from disability accommodations, feel free to call 717-948-6025 or stop by the Disability Services Office to book an appointment. The Disability Services Office shares space with Counseling and Psychological Services on the second floor of the Student Enrichment Center, just past the elevators. Lauren Weber can also be reached at her email address, [email protected].